en - [sympa-users] Upgrading is the answer (was Bad experiences with sympa)

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Johann Spies <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Upgrading is the answer (was Bad experiences with sympa)
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:07:45 +0200

Hi Johann,

1) I'm afraid I can't put a hand on your previous messages. Could you please provide precise information about the error message you had ? Then we could probably tell you if an upgrade would fix the problem.

2) Upgrading is anyway a very good idea because your version of Sympa is very old now and we spent so much energy in fixing reported problems in the meanwhile. Concerning the upgrade, you can read the related documentation to reassured : http://www.sympa.org/doc/html/node5.html
If are concerned about service interruption, then you should install Sympa 5.0 in parallell to your 3.3.3 and shift to the new version at the very last minute. That's the professional way of doing things ;-)

3) I don't understand your "50 copies" problem and it would be worth providing details (including logs, message headers) to help you. Sympa.pl does not handle a checkpoint that would allow to continue after an interruption. BUT unless you restarted Sympa.pl 50 times (whereas you knew it had a problem) it is NOT an sufficient explanation for your annoyance.

Conclusion) Nothing more can be said unless you provide technical details about your specific problem.
If you can't spend some time upgrading Sympa to a decent version (the release you are running is now more than 3 years old), then what can we do for you ?

Johann Spies wrote:

[...]
For most of the lists sympa works without a problem but I was embarrassed by
two instances where sympa.pl just died when a list message was sent out. In
the first instance it was not a very important list and the list owner could
make other arrangements.

However for the past two weeks a list containing the official newsletter of
our university made sympa.pl die and when I restart it, it resend the first
batch and die again. At first I did not realise that with the result that
some users have received 50 copies and others nothing. That is just not
acceptable.

I have asked questions on this list in the past concerning this type of
problem. I have received suggestions to upgrade the version of certain perl
modules - which I have done. That made no difference.

I admit that the version is an old one: 3.3.3-3woody2. But to upgrade it to a newer version is a major exercise which will force me to stop the mailing list service for some time.
Am I the only administrator who experienced such problems? It would be a
very bad experience if I upgrade to a newer version with an interruption of
service until I get the different data structure and all the other stuff
sorted out and the same type of problems are still part of the package.