en - Re: [sympa-users] Separate processes for commands and distribution

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Sam Lalonde <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Separate processes for commands and distribution
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 10:49:54 +0200

This feature is available with Sympa 5.0, NOT in 4.x versions :

Default behavior of sympa.pl is to process files in the msg/ spool, according to their priority. Commands have a priority and each mailing list can have a priority set. When a message/command is processed, it is processed from A to Z. If it is a message for a big mailing list (20K subscribers), it might take up to 1 hour to distribute it (depending of your connectivity and your MTA tuning). IN the meanwhile, no command (SUB, DEL, ...) can be processed.

The new feature allows to have separate sympa.pl processes for :
  1. process commands and move messages to a dedicated spool
  2. process messages

Obviously you did configured it right ; nothing else to do on your server.
Did you expect anything else ?

Sam Lalonde wrote:
I need a bit of hand holding with how to configure separate sympa.pl processes for handing commands and distribution.  I have been fumbling around with this for a while without any luck.  If someone could let me know how they configured this it would be very helpful.  Basically I would like it so that messages are not distributed at certain times (which I assume I can control with cron.)  I would like people to be able to create, and moderate messages anytime.

I can see that if I put:

distribution_mode fork

In my sympa.conf that I get two sympa.pl processes, but now what?