en - Re: [sympa-users] VERP for subscription confirmations?

  • From: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] VERP for subscription confirmations?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:30:17 +0100

Adam Bernstein wrote:

Olivier et al. --

Actually I'm not sure VERP is the right term here, but am I
correct that Sympa does not currently have the ability to put unique Reply-to: headers on subscription confirmation requests?

Right

It has to read the authorization code from the Subject: or body
of the returned message, rather having the subscriber's address
embedded in the To: line in one way or another, right?

Right

It would be great if it could use a unique To: line, because
now that we've customized the Subject: line on confirmation
requests to make them more user-friendly, they can easily become
so long that some email clients truncate the authorization code at the end of the Subject: line. Sympa then tries to parse a broken command and doesn't know what to do with it.

I am afraid making VERP for confirmation could brake the confirmation process because of many kind of automatic reply that could make unwanted validation. It is exactly why we use VERP for the welcome message : any automatic answer to the welcome message push the new subscriber out of the list. May be you could try to use In-Reply-To: based on message-id ? The first think to do is to collect many automatic answers and check if they contain this header. If not, tell us we will introduce this.

Thanks! And I will submit some other patches soon....

adam

Serge