en - [sympa-users] Priority settings?

  • From: Rodrigo Filgueira <address@concealed>
  • To: Sympa Users <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Priority settings?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:00:13 -0300

Thank you Olivier,

I had the following problem, I have two lists, one (L1) with 150 addrsses and the other (L2) with 8000.
L1 supports a distance learning course and should allways have priority, but when some message is sent to L2 sympa makes sendmail choke with it's 8000 mails and L1 is left behind.
I'll try not to worry
about defunct sendmail processes then, and wait for the next release.
Anyway, L2 has 8000 addresses, is that considered a BIG list?

thank you for your help
and have a good new year

Rodrigo Filgueira Prates
IT@CINTERFOR/OIT
http://www.cinterfor.org.uy

Olivier Salaün wrote:
Defunct sendmail processes are sendmail processes that finished their job ; you should not worry about them.
Sympa.pl will set them free (calling &smtp::reaper() subroutine) either when the mail has been sent to all subscribers or if it has reached the 'maxsmtp' threshold (defined in sympa;conf).

I suppose the situation you describe corresponds to the processing of a message in a BIG list. This can paralyse the service, sympa not being available to process commands. We've made things better in the release to come : sympa.pl can be configured to fork ; one process being dedicated to message distribution.

Rodrigo Filgueira a écrit :

I'm running sympa 4.1.2 on RedHat 7.3 with Sendmail.
I ping sympa four times a day asking for HELP to monitor if everything is ok.
I realized HELP messages were not being answered for the whole day and decided to take a look.
All sendmail processes triggered by sympa were reported as defunct. I killed (-9) sympa
(since it would not stop) and as soon as I start Sympa again all sendmail processes triggered by sympa go to defunct status.
I do have other sendmail processes working without a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated