en - Re: [sympa-users] Usage of alternative_email_attribute?

  • From: Scott Balmos <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Usage of alternative_email_attribute?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:16:12 -0500

Hi Olivier,

I'm pretty sure I understand the line of thought in the article you mentioned. user_table & subscriber_table wouldn't change really. But when WWSympa authenticates against LDAP, it would collect up any and all email address attributes, and allow a selection of which email address to use for subscribe operations, etc? Thus a "user" is just an LDAP authentication object, with one or more email addresses. None of the email addresses have to be canonic, or really any concept of a "master" email address, because all addresses are equally separate from each other.

Any of this in CVS yet, or any way I can possibly help it along? :D Having this ability for a user to select one of many email addresses "registered" to themselves is rather crucial for me. Not only because of the mixed-account setup that I talked about, but also many of my users maintain separate addresses for each list they belong to. And I want all of those addresses to be authenticatable from that user's single LDAP entry.

Thanks!

--Scott

Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:

Hi Scott,

This question regarding alternate email is often asqued, therefore I've written something detailed about what Sympa does and what it will do in the future : http://www.sympa.org/fom-serve/cache/247.html