en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa 4.1.2 hangs

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Rodrigo Filgueira <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa 4.1.2 hangs
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:09:11 +0200

Rodrigo Filgueira a écrit :
I'm running sympa 4.1.2 on Redhat 7.3, data is stores in a postgres database on another server.

>From time to time I find that sympa is running (all proocesses ar running) but cannot ask for HELP, nor can I ADD subscribers. No messages are being delivered either.

When I go /etc/init.d/sympa stop sympa.pl does not die. All other modules die, but sympa does not.
I have to do a kill -9 delete sympa.pid and then do a /etc/init.d/sympa start, a second later everithing is working fine.

any ideas on where to start debugging will be greatly appreciated.

When sympa.pl is distributing a message, it does not stop until all subscriber are mailed. With big list, MAXSMTP parameter can be reached and limit the outgoing process.

To make sure, run "sympa.pl -m", with this option Sympa log each email when distributiong a message to a list. "pstree" and "tail -f" while show you sympa.pl limitation. ("sympa.pl  -d" will produce much more logs if neccessary). To make processus faster : make each sendmail process faster (you may change some timout delay), increase the number of receipient per sendmail process MAXRCPT (but take care that some provider may ddecide to blacklist you as a spammer) and increase MAXSMTP depending of the memory size of your server.

TODO :
  • We will introduce a checkpoint in order to be able to stop sympa.pl  and restart it a the point the distribution stop.
  • We will allow a multithreading configuration to parse commands with one process while distributing mesasges with one other.
Serge Aumont