en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa Integration

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa Integration
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:41:00 +0200

Hi Michelle,

Michelle Murrain wrote:

[...]
First, one of the things that I want/need, which is slightly separate from the integration issue, but a necessary part of the project, is an interface which allows users to choose the lists they'd like to subscribe to, in a simple, one page form.

For example, organization (domain) x has 5 lists: announce, events, discussion, foo_committee and bar_committee. They want an interface which allows people to subscribe and unsubscribe from their 5 lists via a set of check boxes (you've seen those interfaces).

Has anyone written an interface like that? Is it possibly in process for sympa development?

We are thinking about adding this feature, probably available from the list of lists or a search or the list of subscriptions on the web interface. If the user is logged in, he could subscribe/unsubscribe with a single click (many checkboxes + a button).

Once we've finished the current work on TT2 (*), we planto work on the web user interface. The multiple subscription could be part of this...

I'm thinking of two different avenues to do this: 1) direct interface with the database, or 2) Sending sympa the requests (either by email or via web services), which does allow sympa to handle the request, and do what might be appropriate (wait for approval, confirm etc.).

The 3rd avenue, and the one we recommend, is to use Sympa SOAP interface that has been introduced to allow external applications to request Sympa services. This method has the advantage of preserving Sympa data integrity because the external program does not access Sympa private data directly ; it uses the right API for this.

We are distributing a PHP sample program that acts as a SOAP client for Sympa :
http://demo.sympa.org/sampleClient.php

Now to the fun part: integration

The web database system I want to integrate with sympa does standard database stuff providing password protected access to content, database tables. It includes on-the-fly form generation, plus, now (this is the important part) personalized email based on record data and sets of selection criteria.

Basically, what I'd like to do is use the sympa database as the base repository of the data, and have Xina (the name of the system) read information from the sympa data. Part of the challenge is that the sympa database holds data for many domains - meaning there needs to be a way to segregate data by domain.

I have two ideas, and I'm realizing I'm liking one better, but here goes - this does mean I have to add a column to the subscribers_table with domain.

1) Write a script that runs nightly, and syncs a set of tables for each domain that the Xina system can read (and write to). This has the advantage of allowing data from the Xina system to make it into sympa. The disadvantage is that its periodic, thus not really 'live' data.

2) Use views. Create a view that selects data from the sympa table by domain, which then the Xina system can read. I like this one best, because it is absolutely live data, and also it lets sympa do what it does best, manage subscriptions.

I don't quite understand what "domain" means for you ?

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités