en - Re: [sympa-users] Problem with many (20,000) dynamic lists

  • From: "Keith A. Marrocco" <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Problem with many (20,000) dynamic lists
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:01:30 -0500

Well, I guess the good news is that it only takes a couple of minutes to update the template and complete running the script to regenerate all 20,000 lists based on the backend database...

:)

Thanks,

Keith

Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:
Keith,

Strangely your list template config file does not have a 'user_data_source' parameter. If this parameter is set to 'include', it could be a reason for your "too many open files" because in this mode subscribers cache is stored in individual DB files. You should set this parameter to 'include2' to make Sympa manage the cache in the main database (mysql, ...).

Anyhow, if you are running 20 000 mailing lists, it would be a good idea to customize your system to raise the maximum number of opened files.

I don't understand what piece of Sympa could create such /tmp/bn* files though. If you find some clues in the logs, please let us know.

Keith A. Marrocco a écrit :
I apologize if I have missed the answer to this somewhere.

Our installation of sympa (Sympa version is 4.0.b2) dies upon restart when all 20,000 course lists are present in the expl directory.  Preliminary investigation suggests that it is opening many, many more files than the operating system can accommodate, most of the form /tmp/bn* .  We are running Solaris 9 on a Sunfire 480 with 8GB of ram.

I will be scheduling downtime for the service over the weekend to collect debugging information, unless upgrading to the production release is known to fix this issue.

The course lists are all defined as per the template below.
[...]
--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites