en - Re: sympa 3.4.4.3 -> strange messages in syslog

  • From: Oliver Thalmann <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: sympa 3.4.4.3 -> strange messages in syslog
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:12:05 +0100

i think i've found the problem

in sub_execute (task_manager.pl)

there is the following code :

my $task_file = $_[0]; # task to execute
# positioning at the right label
$_[0] =~ /\w*\.(\w*)\..*/;
my $label = $1;

which determines the action type of the task by parsing
the full name of the taskfile
($_[0] equate $task_file)

so $1 is the string between the first and second
dot in $task_file.

now if sympa is installed in a basedirectory like
/mail/sympa, everything works, because $1 contains
what task_manager.pl expects to find, as the first
dot in $task_file is "contained" in the real filename, not in
a prepended directory

however, if sympa is installed in a directory which itself
contains dots as i did it (/mail/sympa-3.4.4.3), then
$1 contains "4" (string between first and second dot of
the full file path), which is something task_manager.pl
doesn't really like.

maybe this should be explicitely specified in the installation doc ?
("do not use a base-directory which contains dots")

i'm going to reinstall everything in /mail/sympa, which
will probably correct this problem (and maybe others
which i haven't seen yet)