en - <list>-subscribe address and other alias queries

  • From: Chris Hastie <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: <list>-subscribe address and other alias queries
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:54:40 +0000

I notice that the alias template has a line for a <list>-subscribe address which has been commented out. Is there any reason for this? Brief tests suggest it does work, but I'm guessing may be there's some less than obvious problem with it. I'd certainly like to use it if not - trying to explain to some of my users that they have to put specific things in the Subject field is not easy ;)

The next bit was going to be a question, but I poked around in the code and answered it so it's more of an observation. I have a fairly conservative set of users who don't cope well with change so I'm trying to ensure that migration to Sympa will be as near transparent as possible for them. A big problem here is system aliases - Sympa's choice seems a little unusual. I had thought I could customise these by changing the relevant template and then making a few config changes. But unable to find the config options I was after I looked at the code to discover most of the addresses used in messages sent out by Sympa are hard coded so I'm pretty much stuck with Sympa's choice.

This differs somewhat from what my users are used to, eg:

CURRENT SYMPA
-owner -request
-bounce -owner
-request see below
-moderators -editor

The change of meaning of the -owner address is particularly likely to confuse existing users who are used to being able to get hold of a real person using this address. So as a wishlist thing, can these system aliases be configurable in future please?

The current system (Ecartis) uses the address listname-request as a command address that is specific to the list, ie it is not necessary to specify the listname along with the command. Is there an equivalent in Sympa, or does everything have to go to sympa and include the listname?
--
Chris Hastie

  • <list>-subscribe address and other alias queries, Chris Hastie, 02/27/2004