en - Patch: Plain text digest

  • From: Chris Hastie <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Patch: Plain text digest
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:49:42 +0000

The attached tarball contains a collection of patches and a couple of new files that together add a new reception option, 'digestplain', to Sympa. The patches are against 4.0.b2.

The 'digestplain' reception option generates a digest of messages in a plain text format. All attachments are stripped out. The message uses a Content-transfer-encoding of 8bit and any quoted-printable or Base64 text parts are converted. The character set used is ISO-8859-1. It works fairly well with English language lists. I suspect it will be not too bad with most Western European languages, vaguely usable for languages tending to use a charset in which the 7 bit characters are based on us-ascii and pretty useless for anything else.

I've kept most of the work in a separate file, MyPlainDigest.pm, to aid maintainability of patched systems as new versions of Sympa are released without incorporating this patch. To that end, you may also wish to keep modified templates beneath your sympa/etc rather than sympa/bin/etc directory.

The patches are one per file because I find it easier to keep track of what I'm doing that way, and I never really got the hang of generating diffs for multiple files anyway. They include support for setting the reception mode to 'digestplain' using both the web interface and mail commands. Help files for both mail and web are covered, but in English only - translations I'll have to leave to others more qualified.

Hope it's of use to some of you.
--
Chris Hastie

  • Patch: Plain text digest, Chris Hastie, 02/12/2004