en - Re: [sympa-users] javascript email address protection

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: martin f krafft <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] javascript email address protection
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:34:12 +0200

You're right the javascript-based Spam protection was not fully efficient untill...today.
We've fixed (in the develpment CVS tree) a few things including the problem you've reported :
* email addresses protection in web archives was not fully efficient because of a wrong regular expression
passed to Mhonarc via the M2H_ADDRESSMODIFYCODE environment variable
* when owners/moderators did not declare their full name, email is used instead and displayed
on the list info page. It was not protected.
* email address of document authors were not protected in the document repository (shared)
* the list's email address itself is now protected

All these changes will be part of Sympa 4.x release.

Any comments are welcome.

martin f krafft wrote:

just saw this in the source of the sympa-users mailing list review screen:

document.write("<A HREF=" + "mail" + "to:" + "olivier.salaun"
+ "@" + "cru.fr" + ">address@concealed</A>")
This is a nice try, but it still writes the address in cleartext within the
document. Spambots will get this!

Also, the archives list the email addresses in the clear.

Are you aware of these problems? I think advertising anti-spam address
protection is giving false promises...

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites