en - Re: [sympa-users] web bounces management

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] web bounces management
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:52:15 +0200

Hi Oliver,

These bounce types refer to RFC 1893 that classifies SMTP error messages. When it was able to find out the bounce error type, Sympa (actually bounced.pl) stores it in the user entry.

Basically, temporary error could be a "mailbox full", permanent error could be "user unknown".
"empty" means that Sympa did not guess the error reason...

address@concealed wrote:

maybe someone can explain me the difference between the types of bounces
displayed in web interface.

<empty> <- what type this should be?
temporary
permanent

e.g. we have an email address, which is valid, but get an
type 'permanent' after 1 bounce and another email address
which get no bounce type after 1 bounce. But both email addresses exists and are valid.

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites

  • Re: [sympa-users] web bounces management, Olivier Salaun - CRU, 10/03/2003