en - Re: [sympa-users] sympa and qmail

  • From: Nick Holden <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] sympa and qmail
  • Date: 11 Feb 2003 10:02:39 +0000

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I had seen that testimony, but, as I said,
I don't intend to use LDAP, so it's not hugely helpful.I don't know
enough about what I'm doing yet, to be sure of what I need, but if I
don't hear from anyone else I will do my best at documenting the set-up
that I use.

I think the key problem I've faced so far is not technical but a
documentation one - the manual and the tutorial take a lot for granted,
and are structured to explain the software rather than to describe the
steps taken to implement it. I could really have done with something
that was a walkthrough of the installation process, preferably with
qmail alias help.

I'll see what I can do.

Incidentally, I'm also using a Debian box, which means the sympa init
script doesn't work, because it assumes a number of init and sysconfig
files exist in a RedHat way. Would it be possible to rewrite the init
script to include the functions of the 'functions' file, use 'logger'
instead of 'initlog' and look for the network settings in
/etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts as appropriate? Does the Debian
binary already do this? I didn't use that, because I wanted the current
version of sympa, and the Debian binary seemed to be behind that.

Nick

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 09:10, Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:
> Here is a testimony of someone using Sympa with QMail :
> http://www.sympa.org/fom-serve/cache/62.html
>
> Actually we did not have much feedback from Qmail users ; if you have some
> special requests regarding Qmail about Sympa installation process/ aliases
> management, please let us know.
>
> Nick Holden wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any experience of setting up sympa and qmail to work
> > together? I have a fresh installation of qmail, and I'm setting up sympa
> > clean on it, so I'd rather do it "the qmail way" rather than using the
> > sendmail aliases file and 'faking it', since I'm not using aliases for
> > anything else.
> >
> > I've found a couple of documents on the web about making majordomo work
> > with qmail, but nothing for sympa, except for some experiences using
> > LDAP, which I don't intend to use. Has anyone done it? And has anyone
> > written about it? I think it would be a useful addition to the
> > documents, given qmail's increasing popularity.
> >
> > Nick
> >

> --
> Olivier Salaun
> Comite Reseau des Universites

  • sympa and qmail, Nick Holden, 02/11/2003
    • Message not available
      • Re: [sympa-users] sympa and qmail, Nick Holden, 02/11/2003