en - Re: [sympa-users] message footers

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] message footers
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:10:14 +0100

Hi Adam,

Adam Bernstein wrote:
Is there a reason that Sympa is configured not to attach footers to
messages with multipart/alternative MIME type?

Yes there is a reason :
Adding a footer to a multipart/alternative message implies one of the
following for Sympa depending on the type of appending :
1/ adding a MIME part
Sympa should encapsulate the multipart/alternative within a
multipart/mixed
structure. Here is what it would look like :
multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
text/plain
text/html
We should first check that all MUA will cope with that...

2/ Appending a footer :
Sympa should add both a text/plain and text/html footer (because it
is an alternative structure, you can't guess what will be the user's
preferred format). Adding to the text/plain part is no problem, BUT
adding text to the text/html part implies that :
* footer text in in HTML format
* Sympa is able to parse the HTML structure of the document
to add the footer at the right place

I've just discovered
that this is the type that MS Outlook uses instead of multipart/mixed
to send its HTML-formatted messages (don't ask me why), which means
that most of my users will get no footer when composing in Outlook,
which is bad. I want to eliminate this condition, but not if it's going
to mess something up.

A solution would be that Sympa makes messages single-part (ie: applying the
"text"
and "html" subrscriber reception mode to the whole list).

Also, here's a related suggestion: In general, one wants message footers
and headers to be included in-line, assuming plain text messages. But
with footer type set to "append", nothing gets attached when a user decides
they want to send in HTML for a change.

Here is the same problem as related above...

What we really want is a condition,
perhaps a third header/footer type setting, that always appends to plain
text messages but attaches to multipart messages, no? At least that's what
I want; if nobody else does, I will add it.

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites