en - FW: [sympa-users] When I try to run the sym-lynk wws in my cgi-bin, I get a 500 error

  • From: "Eric Sandquist" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: FW: [sympa-users] When I try to run the sym-lynk wws in my cgi-bin, I get a 500 error
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:18:56 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Burgett [mailto:address@concealed]
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 8:34 PM
To: Eric Sandquist
Subject: RE: [sympa-users] When I try to run the sym-lynk wws in my
cgi-bin, I get a 500 error

Hello Eric,

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:57:47 -0500, Eric Sandquist wrote:

>OK.. due to an error on my part, I lost your replies... however, I did read
>them.
>
>I am unable to use the fastcgi service, since I am using a managed server
>and the source for my apache has been removed and recompiling it would void
>my service agreement. If someone has another way to get fastcgi loaded let
>me know...

?? Ok, unless you can control at least which modules get loaded
(so you can load fastcgi as a module), fastcgi doesn't appear to
be an option. I wonder though, if you have so little control
over your http server, are you going to be able to create list
aliases in an alias file for your smtp server?

***** I have root control, the hosting company has removed all the src
files for apache... So how do I go about compiling it to add it as a
module? I'm pretty sure I can do that... I'll just need to dig through
some more config files... :/

First off, if you're not using fastcgi, make sure use_fast_cgi is set
to '0' in wwsympa.conf

*** Did that just befoer I sent out my initial emails.... no change... :(

Secondly, I would install my sympa in ~messianic instead of ~sympa
where it wants to go. When you run configure, set ac_default_prefix
to this directory before running configure. You will probably want
to review the configure --help for other sympa specific directories
you will want to change. I don't know how hard or easy this will
be.

You should probably 'chown -R messinic:messianicgrp ~messianic after
installing, just to be sure everything belongs to the right group.

You may need to turn the setuid bit _off_ on wwsympa.fcgi, since
apache should run suexec as part of starting your virtual server,
and won't like executing suid files.

**** I would rather not go this route since I want to be able to use the
virtual robots at some point on atleast one other server on this machine.
The box is a managed dedicated machine, so I do have root level access, and
I am responsible for all the domains hosted on it (the bulk of which I own).

Eric....

Hopefully, this will help you get a bit further, and then we can
see what new errors might be occuring, and go from there. :)

Good luck,
Mike