en - RE: [sympa-users] When I try to run the sym-lynk wws in my cgi-bin, I get a 500 error

  • From: "Eric Sandquist" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] When I try to run the sym-lynk wws in my cgi-bin, I get a 500 error
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:57:47 -0500

OK.. due to an error on my part, I lost your replies... however, I did read
them.

I am unable to use the fastcgi service, since I am using a managed server
and the source for my apache has been removed and recompiling it would void
my service agreement. If someone has another way to get fastcgi loaded let
me know...

THe whole problem seems to be a permissions issue when attampting to run as
a regular cgi. It seems that for a script to run it must have the same name
and group as the owner of the virtual server it is running in. So, for the
site I am trying to get this working for - www.messianicgroups.com, it is
messianic.messianicgrp. So if I copy wwsympa.fcgi to my cgi-bin for this
server and set the uid.gid for this it runs, but it does not interact with
the 4 scripts running in the background.

Why? because the uid.gid is different. The background scripts are running
as sympa.sympa.

So, is the only method to correct this to recompile sympa into the
messianicgroups directory and set the uid.gid to messianic.messianic.grp?
Or do I need to create a virtual server under apache for sympa?

I tried using the c prog modification in the documentation... it compiles,
it runs from the command line, but when I attempt to call it using my
browser from cgi-bin, I get the 500 error again... if you want to see:

www.messianicgroups.com/cgi-bin/wwsympa.fcgi - this works, sort of but
doesn't really do anything..
www.messianicgroups.com/cgi-bin/test.cgi - gives a 500 error
www.messianicgroups.com.cgi-bin/wws - is a link to the wwsympa.fcgi in the
sympa installation folder, it gives a 500 error too..

www.messianicgroups.com/wws - gives 404 error

Currently httpd.conf for this vserver is:

<virtualhost www.messianicgroups.com>
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /www/messianicgroups/cgi-bin/
ScriptAlias /cgi-messianicgroups/ /www/messianicgroups/cgi-bin/
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /www/messianicgroups/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /wws /www/sympa/cgi/wwsympa.fcgi
Alias /pipermail/ /www/messianicgroups/mailman/archives/public/
User messianic
Group messianicgrp
ServerAdmin address@concealed
ServerName www.messianic.com
ErrorDocument 404 /missing.html
DocumentRoot /www/messianicgroups
TransferLog logs/messianicgroups-access-log
</virtualhost>

Am I missing something??? Or did this "Custom RH7.2" bite me again?/

Eric Sandquist
Systems Engineer - IHMS.net