en - Changing the login view, and integrating "home", "your lists", "all lists"...

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>, <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Changing the login view, and integrating "home", "your lists", "all lists"...
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 13:24:26 -0700

I'm working on customizing the interface a lot, and one major
item (in effectiveness, but very small in terms of work) is having
it display the "which" view if someone is logged in, but the "home"
view if they're not. (Otherwise, if you set it to "which" and they're
not logged in, it just complains that they need to login and shows
nothing. Rather distressing.) I just added a conditional in do_home{}
to return "which" instead of "1" if there is a login:

4423a4424,4427
> if ($param->{'user'}{'email'}) {
> return 'which';
> }

(diffed against the Sympa 3.3.5 source of wwsympa.fcgi)

But what we *really* want is to get rid of the separate "Your lists"
page, and just have it integrated with the home page -- so your lists
are displayed next to the Topics list immediately at login, like on
YahooGroups or Topica. That requires modifying the home.tpl, which.tpl,
and menu.tpl templates at least, and I haven't done a very clean job of
it yet, but you can see what I mean at http://npogroups.org (if you
create an account and login, anyway). It works great, and presents
information much more efficiently.

Next on my agenda is getting rid of the "All lists" page as well, so that
"view all lists" and "search lists" both return their results within the
same Topics list window on the home page. So then we have a single home
page that includes "home", "your lists", "all lists", and list search
results, all in one neat display.

adam
Tech consulting and virus-protected email & list service for nonprofits
http://amberbug.org address@concealed 415-596-6384