en - Viirtual Robots and Sendmail Aliases

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Viirtual Robots and Sendmail Aliases
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:19:21 +0100

As directed in Chapter 9 of the online documentation, I tried adding a second
set of aliases for a second virtual robot. I didn't realize until today that
there is a problem with this method.

With the Sendmail alias file, the left hand side (LHS) MUST be a local unique
address, so it quietly disregards anything after a @ character. This then
causes Sendmail to regard one set of the aliases as a "duplicate" and only
aliases the last duplicate entry, disregarding all others.

This has the effect that, if your aliases file looked like

sympa: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue sympa"
listmaster: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue listmaster"

address@concealed "| /home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"
address@concealed "| /home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"

The first two entries will be disregarded, and so anyone trying to send any
list commands destined for lists on robot setup in /etc/sympa.conf (first set
of aliases), their emails will actually get sent to the second virtual robot
queue.

The best way I could get this to work is, create entries in the
virtusertable.db, such as

address@concealed sympa2
address@concealed listmaster2

Then create entries in the aliases file to give you this
sympa: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue sympa"
listmaster: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue listmaster"

sympa2: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"
listmaster2: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed"

Sorry if this is already explained elsewhere, but I didn't see it in the
documentation, FAQ, or list archives, hope it helps someone.

This was all tested on Sendmail 8.11.6, and has been working wonderfully for
me.

Jayson Strudwick

  • Viirtual Robots and Sendmail Aliases, jstrudwick, 03/22/2002