en - Re: [sympa-users] Installation issues with sympa-3.3b.4-6.i386.rpm

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: Thomas Leavitt <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Installation issues with sympa-3.3b.4-6.i386.rpm
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:47:37 +0100

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Leavitt wrote:

> Preface: I'm an experienced sysadmin (eight years and counting), so I know
> what I'm doing, generally. I don't ask for help lightly.

Fine

> O.K., I've spent several hours now dorking around trying to figure out the
> answer to this myself, and didn't see any information anywhere else about
> this so:
>
> I am trying to install Sympa onto a RedHat 7.0 machine, via the rpm
>
> The install complains that a whole bunch of packages are missing... o.k. I
> went to the RedHat site and found most of the packages.
>
> However, I cannot find:
>
> perl-CGI >= 2.52 is needed by sympa-3.3b.4-6
> *** no rpm by this name exists on RedHat, as far as I can tell
> perl-ldap >= 0.10 is needed by sympa-3.3b.4-6
> *** ditto
> perl-CipherSaber >= 0.50 is needed by sympa-3.3b.4-6
> *** so far as I can tell, no RPM of any sort is available on the 'net
>
> MHonArc >= 2.4.6 is needed by sympa-3.3b.4-6
> *** it also complains that the version of MHonArc is out of date... the
> latest I can get off RedHat.com is MHonArc-2.4.5-1.noarch.rpm

As far as we know, Sympa is not part of RedHat, therefore we can't
assume RedHat provides all required RPMs. That's why we recommend
searching on rpmfind.net
(see http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/distribution/binaries/).

Rpmfind provides
o perl-CGI-2.78-1
o perl-ldap-0.25-1
o MHonArc-2.4.9-1.noarch

I could not find CipherSaber RPM ; it is optional for Sympa installation
though.

> a) it would be nice if the RPMs required by the sympa rpm package were
> available from the web site

We don't have energy to maintain these RPMs.
Providing the latest version for each package is also a big job...

> b) where do I find these... I really would like to maintain everything via
> RPM, it is so much cleaner... I guess I could just install it all from
> source, etc., but maintainability is a big priority for me.

I understand your constraint.

> [...]
> Wired since 1981. Internet enabled since 1990. Web enabled since 1993.

Sympa enabled soon....

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités