en - Re: [sympa-users] some messages disappear ..

  • From: Harald Wilhelmi <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] some messages disappear ..
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:22:12 +0200

Hallo,

you wrote:

> when i send a message to this list only a part of the 1816 adresses
> receive my message (1149 in my case I check it in /var/log/maillog
> of my mail serever)

Any hints in the maillog of the Sympa server?

I haven't seen your problem and it should be quite hard to track
it down as long as there is no error message. But I have some
general ideas where to look:

* Check the general state of your system.
- If you have a HW or kernel problem it may happen that
some error messages didn't made it to the syslog. So
don't forget to check the dmesg command!
- Check for high load - most sendmails will shutdown on
load of >8-9 or so. Check this with the uptime
command. I have seen surpricing results on some http
servers. For details check the "Bat Book" (Sendmail,
B. Costales) - look for the Ox/OX options (O QueueLA and
O RefuseLA is the same).
- "Out of swap" is a explaination for almost everything.
Even if you find no error msgs - high use of swap
should be suspious. How to check it, depends on your
OS... swapinfo -t, swapon -s, swap -l ... something like
that. Of cause you should check, while trying again.

* Check the spool directories. If something went wrong, you
may find some yunk there.
- sendmail: /var/spool/mqueue (or /usr/spool/mail on older systems).
If you find something, you may also try "mailq -v".
- Sympa: ~sympa/spool/*

I hope it helps...

Regards
Harald Wilhelmi

Harald Wilhelmi
Partner
EMail: address@concealed * Phone: +49(89)21589960
TNG Technology Consulting GmbH * Betastr. 9A * 85774 Unterfoehring