en - Re: [sympa-users] Re: wwsmpa.fcgi is eating too much cpu

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: Erol Ozcan <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Re: wwsmpa.fcgi is eating too much cpu
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:54:11 +0200

Erol Ozcan wrote:

> I think the problem is related with database operations. I have added a
> list called "everybody" which is currently included more than 70.000
> subscribers. Also there are more lists with more than 30.000 subscribers.
> The wwsympa list manager web pages are displayed very slowly after i added
> new lists with many subscribers. Sometimes server does not respond ( might
> be timeout reason ), i could not get any page.
>
> One of the possible solution ( probably the best ) for this problem,
> sympa could cache the lists from database once per session, not every
> requested page. Also database fetching could be optimized. Do you have any
> solution?

As far as we know, Sympa is used with such big lists with good performences.

Database access can indeed slow down you sympa, depending on the following
points :

1/ What RDBMS ?
MySQL is much faster than PostgreSQL !

2/ Did you optimize your database ?
=> Adding a second index on subscriber_table
(user_subscriber,list_subscriber)
=> my MySQL, converting sympa tables to MYISAM format (using
mysql_convert_table_format)

3/ What is the 'user_data_source' for this list ?
If 'include', it can be slow when the process first gets the
subscribers.
If 'database', you should have good performances

Hope it helps

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseau des Universités