en - Re: [sympa-users] setting reception mode when user_data_source is include

  • From: Fiona Dix <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] setting reception mode when user_data_source is include
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:03:59 +0100

> How do list members set their options to nomail, digest, etc. when
the list is run from an external sql database?

They can't do it !! Sympa do not store himself any information
about users defined using external data source (user_data_source include)
(only a internal memory cache is manage by Sympa for performence reasons)

I thought that might be what was happening. But then, it's a usability problem that Sympa doesn't warn you about this when you try to do it. Both by email and via wwsympa it is possible to *apparently* set nomail (for example) without getting any error back, and you can only tell there's a problem because you carry on getting the mail!

Now another question. I can't keep these users on a list where they can't stop getting the mail if they want to - it's running at a volume where many of them would prefer to read the mail in archives only and not by email. So I have to change the list parameter to use the Sympa database, and update the Sympa database with an sql query whenever an email address changes in the external database where these users are stored. That won't cause any problems will it?

And am I right in thinking I can safely insert the data for this list into user_table and subscriber_table while the list is still using the 'include' without messing anything up, because Sympa won't use that data till I change the list parameter in config. Can you foresee any complications doing this - I want the list to keep running smoothly meanwhile.

thanks
Fiona