en - Re: sympa pour 110 000 abonnés ?

  • From: Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Fil <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Sympa-Users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: sympa pour 110 000 abonnés ?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:14:09 +0100

Hi
Please use english speacking in this list.

Fil wrote:

> Chers utilisateurs de sympa,
>
> Je dispose d'une liste de diffusion de 110 000 abonnés (cf.
> www.monde-diplomatique.fr) dont la gestion actuelle ne me satisfait pas.

110.000 subscribers for one list is not a problem for Sympa. We have try to
load 200.000 subscribers in one list without troubles. The question of the
limits of Sympa is frequently asked. here are some guide :

-large list MUST use the RDBMS option of Sympa. MySQL (using the big tables
option)
is a really nice RDBMS solution.
-the limits are not comming from Sympa itself. They are comming from the
network
bandwith and the computer and OS limits.
-there is a big difference between a large number of discussion list and a
large
list for a new paper. In the first case the distribution processus must be
very
fast. Then postfix is probably the best SMTP engine.
-the Web interface will provide nice responce delay if using Fastcgi.

We currently have 125.000 subscribers into 200 mailling list and 6 millions
of messages per mounth on a linux BI-PIII 500 with 512 Mb RAM. Sympa
wwsympa, sendmail (I'am lazy to change to postfix), apache, bounce management
and MySQL run this unique server. It's possible to split it on diffrent
servers,
in particular you can run MySQL in a dedicated server and use round robin for
several mailhost distributor.

We are interested in feed back about very big mailing list servers using
Sympa.

Serge

PS: vous pouvez me contacter par téléphone pour vos tests
Serge Aumont Comité Réseaux des Universités
Campus Beaulieu
35042 Rennes Cedex +33 2 998 471 47