devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Directory layout variables in documentation

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Directory layout variables in documentation
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 09:25:37 +0900

racke,

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 12:25:31 +0200
"Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> our users are confused by the usage of the directory layout variables, see
> recent "Sympa Install" thread on sympa-users.
>
> --- snip ---
> I'm getting stuck with configuring the sendmail part.
> (https://sympa-community.github.io/manual/install/configure-mail-server-sendmail.html)
>
> Particularly the alias part. What is the "$SENDMAIL_ALIAS" thing it's
> talking about?
> --- snap ---
>
> We know where to look, but it is still inconvenient.
>
> So I would like to find a solution for this, possible ideas:
>
> - Link variables in the flow text to the proper location on the directory
> layout page
> - Add a note at the top of the page of all pages using these variables
>
> Any thoughts on that?

| - Link variables in the flow text to the proper location on the directory
layout page

This is what currently this variable name has! Reading the text
on sympa-users, I thought at first: "There is a link to the description".

But I rethought it is a bit hard to notice, at least at first time.

| - Add a note at the top of the page of all pages using these variables

Adding note at the top of all pages is what I thought out at
first before I began to build GitHub Pages. I have rejected this
idea because I thought the user won't read explanations.

The other ideas:

- We may show tooltip on linked texts.

- Things like context help.

- etc.

Anyways this may be better to be discussed on issue page of
sympa-community.github.io repo.

# N.B.: The layout has been left half-done: We have to integrate
# gpldoc and images (I forgot exact named the repo) as subdirectories
# of the site.

Regards,
-- Soji

--
株式会社 コンバージョン
ITソリューション部 システムソリューション1グループ 池田荘児

  • Re: [sympa-developpers] Directory layout variables in documentation, IKEDA Soji, 12/15/2020