devel - [sympa-developpers] basics of utf-8 policy

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] basics of utf-8 policy
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 11:21:45 +0200

hello,

I would like to document and release a Sympatic the way we decided
during the hackathon and realize that defer decisions about unicode
and exception made some previously.

i'll remove utf8:all as we still need to define a policy. AFAIU,
the idea that was promoted both on this list and during the hackathon is
we need to use wrapper libraries over the IO (basically
don't "open 'sendmail|' by yourself") and defer decisions about unicode
policy (that's why we remove utf8::all).

can we at least validate the fact that the code itself should be
written in utf8 so we should add

use utf8;

also, thanks to racke the idea made its path on my mind to have

* the most common case included by default
* exclusion tags instead of inclusion

and i really think it's awesome.

we already decided previously this year that Moo should be default
but you can remove it using

use Sympatic -oo;

what if we add something similar to disable our unicode policy ?

use Sympatic -unicode -oo;

so we should have less conservative (and i think more modern) behavior
about utf-8? i still think we need to use utf8::all to avoid ending up
in some years to realize we reinvented it but we probably should have

utf8
open qw( :UTF-8 :std )
feature qw( unicode_strings )

on our regular basis.

To sumarize: there are 2 ideas here

* the -unicode flag
* the very basics of a default unicode

please share throughts

regards
marc

  • [sympa-developpers] basics of utf-8 policy, Marc Chantreux, 06/07/2018