devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] 6.2 / 7.0 organization in the coming months

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] 6.2 / 7.0 organization in the coming months
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:24:23 +0900

All,

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 14:48:49 +0200
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I see that it's difficult to work jointly on the 7.0 and the 6.2.
>
> Here's what we'll do to ease the release of these two versions:
>
> - 7.0: Reminder: the aim of this trunk is to transform existing, working
> code to make it maintainable and testable. Consequently, Guillaume is
> free to modify anything in this code to reach this goal. If that means
> removing dependencies with config, it's okay. If that means changing
> whatever code we had before, it's okay. Let's be humble, we work with
> perl, there's more than one way to do it. Sure, it can lead to problem,
> but there is no urgency in the 7.0 release so we can cope with whatever
> problems it could raise LATER. Once the code is good, we'll start
> working on it again. So here are the guidelines to commit to the trunk
> until further notice:
> - only bug fixes
> - no new dependencies. if some bug fixes need them, we can just
> keep them in mind and find a way to solve them later with the new code.
> - of course, remarks on the changes are still welcomed but no
> flamewar. I'll answer remarks first.
> this way, we keep the trunk reasonnably in sync with 6.2

On this point (7.0) I'll defer my comments: I wish to hear
Guillaume's intension at first.

> - 6.2: I want it out as soon as possible. Otherwise, Sympa may die.
> that's as simple as this. If I can't say by the beginning of October
> that we finally issued a beta, my management will cut deep in our Sympa
> ressources. So no new features, no big changes. I'll agree with Soji's
> proposal about bulk spool if he makes a strong argument about it.

You said 6.2 would be released "in two weeks". Just a kidding!
It is impossible even if you were Jacques Anquetil!

However, it is not always impossible. I'll show three options.

1. (Heavy)

- Test Sympa seriously.
That is, we'll test most cases including which are not listed in
matrix: task_manager, WWSympa, SOAP and lacking workflows (e.g.
workflows regarding listmaster has never been tested).
Test needs long time.
* Cut-off: 2014-10-31 (hopefully).

- Release Sympa 6.2b.1.
First beta test period for one month
* Cut-off: 2014-11-30 (hopefully)
Additional time to fix codes for one week
* Cut-off: 2014-12-07 (hopefully).

- If serious problems won't be found, release Sympa-6.2.

2. (Middle)

- Test Sympa according to current test matrix.
That is, we might not be able to kill any hidden bugs.
Test needs midst time.
* Cut-off: 2014-10-15 (probably)

- Release Sympa 6.2b.1.
First beta test period for one month
* Cut-off: 2014-11-15.
Additional time to fix codes for one week
* Cut-off: 2014-11-22.

- Release Sympa 6.2b.2.
First beta test period for one month
* Cut-off: 2014-12-22.
Additional time to fix codes for one week
* Cut-off: 2014-12-29.

- If serious problems won't be found, release Sympa-6.2.

2. (Light)

- Never test Sympa anymore and release recent code as beta.
That is, we can not be able to kill all evident bugs.
Test needs no time.
* Cut-off: 2014-09-15 (surely)

- Release Sympa 6.2b.1.
First beta test period for one month
* Cut-off: 2014-10-15.
Additional time to fix codes for one week
* Cut-off: 2014-10-22.

- Release Sympa 6.2b.2.
First beta test period for one month
* Cut-off: 2014-11-22.
Additional time to fix codes for one week
* Cut-off: 2014-11-29.

- Release Sympa 6.2b.3.
First beta test period for one month
* Cut-off: 2014-12-29.
Additional time to fix codes for one week
* Cut-off: 2015-01-05.

- Release Sympa 6.2b.N.

- ...

- Finally, when serious problems won't be found anymore, release
Sympa-6.2.

I prefer to option 2 (middle). David's prefernce seems 3 (light)
for me --- right?

*

About bulk spool: The work has been mostly done. Now bulk*_table
tables are used only to keep each message and most items of tables
were incorporated in attributes (X-Sympa-* pseudo-headers).

Anyhow, please see the running code! Switching will be finalized by
just a few commits, and I'll (sorry for repeating) do it.

*

I'll comment to remainder of your post in other days.

Regards,

--- Soji

> In addition to this mail:
> - 7.1: we can make a lot of things in this versions, so we'll have to
> chose. Here's a list of proposed features, feel free to complete it:
> - switch config formalism to either JSON or YAML
> - full config editable through the web interface
> - Sympa distribution over several servers
> - full access to all features through all interfaces: command line,
> mail, web, SOAP and REST,
> - internationalized email addresses (RFC 5983)
> - RFC 6729 (mail management tracability)
> - multi medium information brodacasting: transfer messages through
> mail, SMS, web services, etc.
> - multiple email adresses support
>
> Well, that's it. Do we agree about it?
>
> Best regards,
>
> David
>
> --
> A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!
> <https://sourcesup.renater.fr/tracker/?group_id=23>
> RENATER logo
> *David Verdin*
> Études et projets applicatifs