devel - [sympa-developpers] 6.2 / 7.0 organization in the coming months

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] 6.2 / 7.0 organization in the coming months
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 14:48:49 +0200

Dear all,

I see that it's difficult to work jointly on the 7.0 and the 6.2.

Here's what we'll do to ease the release of these two versions:

- 7.0: Reminder: the aim of this trunk is to transform existing, working code to make it maintainable and testable. Consequently, Guillaume is free to modify anything in this code to reach this goal. If that means removing dependencies with config, it's okay. If that means changing whatever code we had before, it's okay. Let's be humble, we work with perl, there's more than one way to do it. Sure, it can lead to problem, but there is no urgency in the 7.0 release so we can cope with whatever problems it could raise LATER. Once the code is good, we'll start working on it again. So here are the guidelines to commit to the trunk until further notice:
    - only bug fixes
    - no new dependencies. if some bug fixes need them, we can just keep them in mind and find a way to solve them later with the new code.
    - of course, remarks on the changes are still welcomed but no flamewar. I'll answer remarks first.
this way, we keep the trunk reasonnably in sync with 6.2

- 6.2: I want it out as soon as possible. Otherwise, Sympa may die. that's as simple as this. If I can't say by the beginning of October that we finally issued a beta, my management will cut deep in our Sympa ressources. So no new features, no big changes. I'll agree with Soji's proposal about bulk spool if he makes a strong argument about it.

In addition to this mail:
- 7.1: we can make a lot of things in this versions, so we'll have to chose. Here's a list of proposed features, feel free to complete it:
    - switch config formalism to either JSON or YAML
    - full config editable through the web interface
    - Sympa distribution over several servers
    - full access to all features through all interfaces: command line, mail, web, SOAP and REST,
    - internationalized email addresses (RFC 5983)
    - RFC 6729 (mail management tracability)
    - multi medium information brodacasting: transfer messages through mail, SMS, web services, etc.
    - multiple email adresses support

Well, that's it. Do we agree about it?

Best regards,

David

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Études et projets applicatifs

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21