devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[11189] trunk/src/lib/Sympa/Message.pm: [dev] simplification: no need to use a fifo, a simple temporary file with strict permission is enough

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[11189] trunk/src/lib/Sympa/Message.pm: [dev] simplification: no need to use a fifo, a simple temporary file with strict permission is enough
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 11:49:18 +0200

Hem...

I'm back from summer break. You may think it was very long. You may be right, but, hey, family and such, you know. If it makes you feel better, I'm not particularly fitter now than when I left due to children chosing the holidays season to catch any kind of disease they can find...

Well, back to the topic of Sympa. It looks like you chose the exact moment I left to engage yet another flamewar.
Seriously, guys...

I see the topic seems resolved, so I won't argue about it.

What I see, when reading the conversation, is a very strong basis of technical argument. I see that your are often offended by some of the replies the other one sends. That's not debatable: whatever the actual meaning of a sentence was, even if offence was not the writer's intention, if you feel offended, nothing can prevent it. Thats what you feel and you have your own reason to feel offended.
The problem here is that flamewars often start on premises that, on my opinion, were quite light. I don't say you're wrong to feel what you feel. Homever, I think you should not reply at once when such a situation happens. Maybe you could just take a little time before answering. Sometimes, when rereading a mail, you realize that you may have misunderstood. And even if you keep on feeling agression, try not to answer too harshly. Keep in mind that the other person may also have been offended by you, for reason you can't think of.

When two people fight, there are always reasons from both sides. Just keep that in mind and it will probably ease our collaboration.

Hem. That was the "David as a peace judge" intervention. I'll comme back to you later today with reports on Sympa, YAPC, new versions, mailings lists for the perl community, future interventions and a lot of things Étienne and I discussed while in Sofia.

Best regards !

David