devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[11189] trunk/src/lib/Sympa/Message.pm: [dev] simplification: no need to use a fifo, a simple temporary file with strict permission is enough

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[11189] trunk/src/lib/Sympa/Message.pm: [dev] simplification: no need to use a fifo, a simple temporary file with strict permission is enough
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:49:47 +0200

Le 29/07/2014 04:47, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
# The phrase "I cannot answer a hypothetical question" is usual
# play of bureaucratic people. Could you please stop such a
# offensive reply?
Rejecting technical arguments as offensive will indeed make discussion easier.

Besides, I just presented _an example_ for a contrapositive of
Kerckhoffs's principle: Private key must not fall into enemy hands.
Sure. No compromise. Let's defend against martian interventions too.

For more example, it may not be our pleasure that a company refrain
from adopting Sympa based on code audit by them, isn't it?
My pleasure would be than Sympa would be auditable at all. Which implies to make it readable first.

FIFO (I don't stick to this method, though) does not store
passed information to any perpetual storages. I suppose that is why
openssl supports FIFO.
openssl doesn't make any difference between a regular file and a fifo
for this matter, but this doesn't change much here.

BTW I rethought on this issue and decided to use Crypt::SMIME.
Fine. No need to discuss anything anymore then.
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information