devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] ListDef parser

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] ListDef parser
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:58:19 +0100

Dear all,

Le 19/03/14 13:22, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Hi,

I become depressed thinking that we must maintain current parser
of Conf and List modules in the future.
I must agree with Soji.
I like the current config formalism, but it has limitations, such as the impossibility to describe mor than one level of paragraphe.

Example :

param1
    subparam1
        sub-subparam1 value

Is a structure impossible to describe.

I spent a few hours trying to find a solution with the current formalism: it is impossible without introducing sub-pragraphs marker. Which means chaning formalism.
We need this level of expressivity for some new functionnalities (such as automlatic lists on the web, or families of families).

Therefore, we need to change config formalism. Consequently, if we need to change the config formalism, I'd rather switch to a widely used  - and already developped - config format.
YAML looks like a good candidate to me.

I remember past discussion about format of config files.
I prefer to some other general format such as YAML, JSON, ...
They are disadvantageous when users want to edit manually,
however, "Sympa as SaaS" framework will reduce necessity of manual
edits.
Indeed. However, we will chose a config format that allows easy manual edition.

Although it may come with 7.x...
Yes, probably 7.1, as config rewrite is mandatory to reach correct SaaS level.

Regards,

David

Regards,

--- Soji