devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[10167] trunk/src/lib: [dev] no need to maintain duplicated and unconsistent authors list in multiple

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[10167] trunk/src/lib: [dev] no need to maintain duplicated and unconsistent authors list in multiple
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 17:57:07 +0100

Le 20/01/2014 15:57, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Hi,

Each module have its history. I think credit to authors must be
kept as much as we are possible.
We do have VCS for history, and I trust VCS far much than the actual file content, largely due to cut'n'paste practice. I'd be really surprised if Serge and Olivier were the only authors for those files, and if they were the authors of only 4 modules among the 69 ones comprising current Sympa distribution. That's not information, that's just noise.

Also, we don't care about who is the author of a given file, but who is the author of a given piece of code. It does make sense to keep a file-based list only for external contributors, who contributed a specific part of Sympa's code, such as the plugin infrastructure contributed by M. Overmeer. Not for people involved into the wole software project, as its past and current authors.
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information