devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] "Let's work together" plan ;)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] "Let's work together" plan ;)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:04:48 +0200

Le 24/10/2013 14:13, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
I know that:

* Soji shares all these aims,
* Guillaume's main objective is about point three, which has deep
consequences on point 2 (and will greatly ease point 1).
I may add security also as a personal interest. After all, I'm supposed to work as a security engineer here :) I'm dreaming of running sympa daemons and web interface under taint mode, for instance, but given the current code base, I'd rather make it a priority.

[..]
- Some refactoring efforts by Guillaume can be controversy.
When someone feels another way of refactorization is better, how
should we behave? ...Sorry, I can't explain my question very clear.
It's very clear. :-)
My opinion is that we should try to accept his ideas for a start. As I
stated in my mail, we don't have to observe him silently and we can
debate his choices. The only important point is that, if we the
discussion reaches a dead end, he is the one that will have the last
say.

I got it. At last Guillaume brings the hammer down, all of the else
shall sit up.
I feel deeply honoured, but that's a bit too much responsability for me.

First, I can be as wrong as everyone else, but as any other 'expert', I'm far most dangereous when I am :) Second, my official current time allocation on the project (which has to be rediscuted soon...) doesn't offer enough availabilty ensurance for this role.

I'd prefer than whatever the topic is (code refactoring, new feature addition, etc...) the final decision belongs to David. This would allows to weighs purely technical concerns with other concerns than we isolated developers often ignore. And as he just reminded us, he's the guy in charge of the project, after all :)

For everything else, I perfectly agree with David's proposal, and I also concur than I don't intend to be the only one actually working during half of the development cycle. I expect others to continue to commit change directly, if needed, and to review my changes also. Which reminds me the sympa-commits mailing-list seems to be down for almost 2 weeks now...

--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information