devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[9082] branches/sympa-6.1-branch: [bug][#8066] [Submitted by X.

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[9082] branches/sympa-6.1-branch: [bug][#8066] [Submitted by X.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 15:29:30 +0200

Le 18/04/2013 05:04, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Hi all again,

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:03:53 +0200
Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed> wrote:

Le 10/04/2013 14:41, address@concealed a écrit :
Revision
9082
Author
sikeda
Date
2013-04-10 14:41:16 +0200 (mer. 10 avril 2013)

Log Message

[bug][#8066] [Submitted by X. Bachelot] FSF had moved.
Which is yet another reason to restart a discussion I once suggested: do
we really need to have so much duplicated informations in every file,
whereas a simple reference to a centralised verbatim copy of license,
copyright and authorship information would be enough ?

That's just ugly to have 16 lines of legal information, whose usefulness
is not even proved, for a single line of code, such as src/Makefile.am
file (sympa-cleanup branch) case, for instance.

I've just checked automake source file, they refer to FSF web site,
which offers better perenity garanties than a postal address:
# along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

I read GPL Howto:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Accroding to this Howto, a "copyright notice" and a "statement of
copying permission" should be added to "each source file" of program
to use license (GPL) validly.

* Sympa is the intellectual property as deliverables by RENATER.

Format and content of "copyright notice" would be decided
according to RENATER's policy. So I withhold opinion about them.

* Credit to authors cannot be a substitute for copyright notice.

Conversely, there may not be any problems of keeping it.

* The Howto recommends "statement of copying permission" including
three paragraphs.

I suppose it would better to be added to all sources, regardless
to their sizes.
Just because it is written in a some document does not make it better for everyone. And I personnaly prefer "simplicity and consistency" over "FSF compliance". Especially as the current reality shows than:
1) maintaining this duplicated information is painful, and generally considered as useless
2) the associated risk is null: even with 11 years outdated legal statement, no one tried to sue Renater for copyright infrigement...

What we really need here is an authoritative and up-to-date copyright notice, as well as some ways of crediting authors and contributors correctly. I think everyone will agree here.

Now, the decision to blindly duplicate this information in every piece of file contained in Sympa repository has to be balanced against the fact than it will probably be outdated again in a few monthes...

--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information