devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Merge is over, what now?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Merge is over, what now?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:18:15 +0200

Le 30/09/2013 06:15, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
I don't have objection to your suggestion on the whole, but I would
like to add a concern:

- Action prefixes with broad meaning should as little be used as
possible: "get", "make", "put", "set" and so on.
- Consequently, "get" and "set" should be used only for getters and
setters.

In fact, by now "get" prefix is used with too various meanings so
that it is hardly meaningful --- What, from which, how, ... does
they "get"? That's why I didn't prefer to use "get" prefix.
get_something semantics is usually "compute a value without modificating environment, and returns it". Getters are just a subset of this use case. For instance, we have get_daemon_name() function in Sympa::Tools::Daemon.

However, I'm OK to reserve it for object accessors. compute_daemon_name() is fine too.

--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information