devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Merge is over, what now?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Merge is over, what now?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:15:40 +0900

Hi David and all,

Here is partial reply to your post. I'll reply to the remainder
later.

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 17:35:16 +0200
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

> Spools
>
> * We will enforce the filesystem spools for now, not the SQL spools,
> until we have a mechanism to allow both. The reason here is that we
> know file system spools work whereas SQL spools proved unsafe on our
> production environment.

How about bulkpacket (formerly bulkmailer) table? It also has
problem: The size of receipients_bulkpacket column limits number
of recipients, regardless the value of nrcpt parameter.

> Naming conventions
>
> * Unification of accessors : It's a hard topic, so I'll try to sum it up.
> o Soji originally rewrote Site/Robot/Family/list and added an
> AUTOLOAD function allowing to dynamically create function
> corresponding to configuration parameters,
> o Guillaume objected to the number of the resulting functions, as
> well as the double usage of such function: getters and setters ;
> he argumented for more explicit naming scheme.
> o A consensus could be :
> + get_* and set_* for any field belonging to an object. All
> the fields should be private, being manipulated by these
> getters/setters,
> + a "get_parameter" and a "set_parameter" function for each
> parameter coming from a configuration file
> o Soji objected that such an organization didn't tackle the
> question of readonly parameters. This might be simply resolved
> by a "readonly" flag in the parameter definition, making the
> program croak if a developper tries to change it. readonly flag
> would be handled by "set_parameter" function.
> * I suggest that we try to have a consistent naming for functions and
> variable. Let's use underscore-separated strings, with no capitals.

I don't have objection to your suggestion on the whole, but I would
like to add a concern:

- Action prefixes with broad meaning should as little be used as
possible: "get", "make", "put", "set" and so on.
- Consequently, "get" and "set" should be used only for getters and
setters.

In fact, by now "get" prefix is used with too various meanings so
that it is hardly meaningful --- What, from which, how, ... does
they "get"? That's why I didn't prefer to use "get" prefix.

Of course I don't wish to change all naming of existing subs right
now: I wish lax and unhurried transition.

# Although this is not the issue on implementation but naming
# convention, I'd like to state that I don't stick to specific
# implementation such as AUTOLOADing.

Regards,

--- Soji

--