devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] About bugs, RDBMSes

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] About bugs, RDBMSes
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:31:11 +0200

Hi Soji,

Le 02/05/13 16:13, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
David and all,

On Thu, 02 May 2013 09:12:40 +0200
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

Hi Soji,
Le 01/05/13 04:19, IKEDA Soji a e'crit :
Hi all,

I had been fixing some bugs on SourcesUp tracker.
Yes, We saw it; I take the occasion to let you know how impressed we are
before the number of bugs you fixed recently.:-)
Some bugs on 6.1.x or earlier were fixed in 6.2 branch and tracker
items are kept open.  These would be closed when they tested with
sympa-6.2b.1 or so.
OK.
Several bugs remaining open seem slightly hard to fix for me...
Sopme of them are open since a long time because fixing them requires
deep changes in Sympa way of functionning.
In next week, after spring vacation, I'll be sweeping tracker to
close older bug items which had been really fixed.
Great! Thanks!

RDBMS Dependency

As far as I see, minimum requirements of RDBMS for recent
sympa-6.2-branch are as below:

* MariaDB
  All releases.
  Aria and XtraDB storage engines will work.
Nice. I never heard of MriaDB before. It looks like a replacement for
MySQL, doesn't it?
Sure.  MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, ...or probably MySQL is a fork
of MariaDB ;-).  It had emerged as clone of MySQL 5 and now does
more.
Chicken and egg...
the good thing is we will be able to announce support of another RDBMS for free... ;)

* MySQL
  4.1.1 or later (for character set support).
  MyISAM and InnoDB storage engines will work.
We already mentionned that the minimum version of MySQL is 4.1.
Increasing it to 4.1.1 will not change much, so all is good.
* PostgreSQL
  7.4 or later (provides current_schema() function).

* SQLite
  3.0 or later (for "immediate" lock feature).
Great!
* Oracle, Sybase etc.
  Unknown.
You said that Sybase was hopeless. Maybe we should consider dropping it.
I'm supposed to run a survey on Sympa usage at the end of Spring. We'll
see if there are any relevant usage of this SGBD.
Same for Oracle, but I think it os still widely used.
For 6.3 refactoring, we should consider usage of abstraction layers
provided by CPAN, if they don't involve functionnality regression.
Although I'm not sure, DBD::Sybase seems not to be able to handle
BLOB.

Anyway, if any develpers don't have testbed for Sybase, it would like
to be dropped.

Survey seems good idea.  A few months ago a user asked me, "Why
Sympa doesn't support InnoDB?".  I couldn't answer, because I
didn't KNOW whether someone is running Sympa with InnoDB
successfully or not.
Actually, Sympa will run with InnoDB. The kind of queries Sympa sends to the RDBMS will work whatever Db engine you shose to use.
A few times ago, we had both MyISAM and InnoDB in our Sympa database. we removred this heterogenity for database backup prupose only. it was no problem for running the application.

Cheers,

David

Regards,

--- Soji

Thanks for all this great work on Sympa!

Cheers,

David

Regards,

--- Soji

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!
<https://sourcesup.renater.fr/tracker/?group_id=23>

Te'l : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21

www.renater.fr <http;//www.renater.fr>
	RENATER
263 Avenue du Gal Leclerc
35042 Rennes Cedex

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Infrastructure pour les Services Informatiques

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21

www.renater.fr
RENATER