devel - Re: [sympa-dev] msg queue sorting in sympa.pl (5.3.4)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: András Bendzsák <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] msg queue sorting in sympa.pl (5.3.4)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:06:51 +0100

Hi,

> Sympa 6 has a million times better prority handling. The priority is
> handled in real time, allowing Sympa to stop delivering a message when a
> message with a higher priority arrives. It then resumes sending messages
> to the first list when all the messages for the second one are sent.
> Obviously, messages are not resent: Sympa just starts to send messages
> where it was at the time of the interruption.

I've checked the Sympa 6 code and I see great improvements in priority
handing and speed but I found an other bottleneck. I have no idea why
sympa.pl process expired and bad messages, this hangs the message
processing in extreme cases for minutes.

For example we have more than 50k waiting for moderate message and
due to some performance issues in XFS filesystem it takes for minutes
to delete old folders.
For a workaround I comment out these lines and put it a seperate
cleanspool.pl script and run it from cron but I think the permanent
soulution would be moving the Cleanspool functions to task_manager.pl.

--
Andras Bendzsak
Schonherz Dormitory