devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Translation assistance (offered)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Translation assistance (offered)
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:43:29 +0100

Hi Roger,

Yes, we would love to see the quality of English in Sympa improved! We know too much how our "globish" must hurt English readers eyes...
The best way to do it is to modify the internationalization catalogue for English. And yes, it is a catalogue that translates from English to English.
Indeed, the English character strings are written in the code and are thus used as keys for the other translations. Modifying them would then invalidate their translations for all the other languages.

That's why we use a catalogue to fix pure English problems.

You can download the catalogue here: http://pootle.sympa.org/en_US/sympa/sympa-en_US.zip. The file to modify is sympa.po.

Once you're done translating in correct English, you can send us the result, we'll integrate it to the next Sympa release.

You can also translate directly in our online translation tool: http://pootle.sympa.org/

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

David