devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Local additions to gettext catalogue

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Matthias Warkus <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Local additions to gettext catalogue
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:40:21 +0200

Actually, you can do it using another way: Just copy the template ni which you want to add a new localized string into a subdirectory of web_tt2 bearing the name of the locale you want to use (de_DE) for example.
In the copied file, just add the strings you need directly in German (you don't even need to use the [%loc%] tags).
Any user having set its language as German will see page built on the template found in "web_tt2/de_DE" instead of"web_tt2".

If you want more informations about what template will be used in priority, please read this part of the manual: https://www.sympa.org/manual/customizing#mail_template_files

Best regards,

David

Matthias Warkus a écrit :
Hi,

anyone who runs a multilingual sympa with substantial configuration
probably has the same problem as we had: If you add any new
translatable, you basically have to maintain a patched copy of the po/
directory from the source distribution. (Here, we have custom scenarios
with translatable titles and a heavily modified login page.)

I've come up with a simple solution (note that we support only two
langauges - the original and the "de" translation):

1. We store local translations in a file,
say /home/sympa/local-po/de-local.po.

2. The attached shell script is run: It decompiles the MO file into a PO
file, adds the local translations, strips out duplicates, recompiles and
reinstalls the result. Because of the duplicate removal, this script can
be run from /etc/init.d/sympa or even from a cron job if needed. Note
this is a crude script which will break your translation if there are
errors in any of the files used.

This solution is still somewhat of a kludge. Maybe Sympa should
incorporate a facility for adding local translations in a simpler way?

Sincerely,
M.W.

--
David Verdin