devel - [sympa-dev] Local additions to gettext catalogue

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Matthias Warkus <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Local additions to gettext catalogue
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:05:25 +0200

Hi,

anyone who runs a multilingual sympa with substantial configuration
probably has the same problem as we had: If you add any new
translatable, you basically have to maintain a patched copy of the po/
directory from the source distribution. (Here, we have custom scenarios
with translatable titles and a heavily modified login page.)

I've come up with a simple solution (note that we support only two
langauges - the original and the "de" translation):

1. We store local translations in a file,
say /home/sympa/local-po/de-local.po.

2. The attached shell script is run: It decompiles the MO file into a PO
file, adds the local translations, strips out duplicates, recompiles and
reinstalls the result. Because of the duplicate removal, this script can
be run from /etc/init.d/sympa or even from a cron job if needed. Note
this is a crude script which will break your translation if there are
errors in any of the files used.

This solution is still somewhat of a kludge. Maybe Sympa should
incorporate a facility for adding local translations in a simpler way?

Sincerely,
M.W.
--
Philipps-Universität Marburg // Hochschulrechenzentrum (HRZ)
Matthias Warkus, M.A.