devel - [sympa-dev] Using distributed version control systems (Git, Bazaar, Mercurial)(was: Patch to make LDAP login behaviour more predictible)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Paul Menzel <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Using distributed version control systems (Git, Bazaar, Mercurial)(was: Patch to make LDAP login behaviour more predictible)
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:04:02 +0200

Dear list,

Am Freitag, den 04.09.2009, 11:37 +0200 schrieb David Verdin:
> Flack Maguire a écrit :
> > I was just curious if there had been any talk on the core team of
> > moving over to one of the distributed version control systems (DVCS)
> > like Git, Bazaar, or Mercurial.
> >
> Not yet. Actually, we are pretty happy with subversion so far. We know
> these new systems are emerging now but didn't have the time to
> investigate what would be the benefits of migrating to them.
> Some readings ahead, I guess. Do you use them yourself or do you have
> any pointers that could help us understanding these tools?

I am preferring Git, so you could take a look at [1] and [2]. In my
opinion branches are far easier to work with in Git.

> > Married up to these are code hosting services such as Launchpad and
> > GitHub. But, I think your team has more than covered the issues
> > such as a wiki, bug tracking, etc. so I would imagine they would not
> > be a substantial value add.
> >
> Actually, the CRU (the french organization which Serge, Olivier and I
> are working for) is operating a development forge, sourcesup
> (http://sourcesup.cru.fr/) dedicated to public developments done by
> French universities. It provides a set of tools for each project :
> tracker, subversion repository, mailing lists, wiki and so on. We use
> them for Sympa.

Do you have contact to the SourceSup developers. I think, if they offer
you a DVCS system, you could easily migrate and adapt to it. There are a
whole bunch of easy tutorial on the WWW. For Git take a look at [3].

> > Still, the DVCS tools themselves are growing in popularity for the
> > flexibility they provide to global efforts and can be used
> > completely outside of the hosting services.
> Indeed! And if a tool is really useful, we will always find a way to
> adpat it to our framework. ;-)
> >
> > Do let me openly acknowledge that it is extremely easy for any of us
> > to come up with ideas like this when it is not us implementing the
> > idea. And, I will be the first to say that my particular group has
> > gained far more from Sympa than we have given at this date which is
> > something we hope & plan to change as we go farther with Sympa.
> Ideas are important. You never implement anything if you don't have
> any idea... So feel free to keep on leaving suggestions through the
> Sympa mailing lists. We are always interested by new ideas, even if we
> -sadly - don't always have the time to implement them.
> But it /you/ have the time to do so, you are even more welcome! ;)

As written above, I hope SourceSup will offer this service soon.

Bests,

Paul

[1] http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/871/why-is-git-better-than-subversion