devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Install script not picking up success on CPAN modules

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Lyle <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Install script not picking up success on CPAN modules
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:46:32 +0200

Hi,

Yes, CPAN is clearly a big flaw in the Sympa installation process. I don't want to think about how many potential users can have turned down from Sympa due to repeated CPAN module installation failure...
We seriously consider finding a solution to remove this limitation. Actually, we heard that it is possible to create packages off CPAN. We'll have a look at it as soon as things have calmed down for the Sympa 6.

One of the two-three main development tasks coming for Sympa is: "Make the installation process easier".
This includes resolving the CPAN problem, and also improve the wizard, which would probably imply that most of the Sympa configuration would be done and modified through the web interface.

Any thoughts / tips about these aims?

Regards,

David

Lyle a écrit :
Hi,
I'm running the SYMPA install for the first time on CentOS5 dual core server. I've much experience with Perl (programmer 10 years).
The install script keeps coming back with errors such as "Installation of Regexp::Common FAILED. Do you want to force the installation of this module?" although I can see form the output that the make test and make install went fine...

Also sometimes it gets caught in a dependency loop, asking to prepend the same modules over and over without trying to install them in between. I tried updating to the latest CPAN, but if anything it got worse. Strangely, if I run "cpan MODULENAME" for the modules that wouldn't go on there isn't a problem...

Maybe it would be good to distribute all of the Pure Perl modules along with Sympa, this would at least make the build process quicker.

Lyle

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités