devel - [sympa-dev] Store Sympa spools on RDBMS

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: " \" <address@concealed>"@www.cru.fr
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Store Sympa spools on RDBMS
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:27:54 +0200

In Sympa 6.0, messages spools will move into database at least partially.

sympa.pl prepare the message to distribute and optimized subset of subscribers. Then it will store messages and recipient subset list on the database. A very simple processus will fetch message and recipients from database and submit it to the local MTA.

With this architecture, it is possible to stop sympa during the distribution process and later, restart it without duplication of distributed messages. In addition, message priority is applied after each submission to the local MTA where in current organization, priority is evaluated only after a message is completely submitted to SMTP.

But the main advantage of using database for spools is that several processus running on different hosts can do the job.

I test it with MySQL and discovered that the default configuration (/etc/my.cnf) must be changed to support huge messages**| (parameter max_allowed_packet|** see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/6.0/en/packet-too-large.html) .

Do you known the limitation for other database supported by Sympa : oracle, postgres, sybase ?