devel - [sympa-dev] Sympa startup script

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Sympa startup script
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:20:12 +0200

Hi,

For the moment, when building the Sympa daemon start script, we use a variable, INITDIR, set by the configure option --with-initdir (default /etc/rc.d/init.d).

The reasons to change the default value can be :
1- Sympa is installed on a system where all the scripts are located in an exotic place
2- Several installation are performed on the same machine.

The problem is that this variable is used to link to the "functions" file, which is located in the default startup scripts location. Then, if we are in case 2, we miss the access to this file and the script fails.
However, in case 1, everything goes well.

We hesitate now about what to do for this script : must we set the path to functions to a fixed value, taking the risk to make administrators of exotic systems have to change their scripts by hand, or do we keep it like it, forcing people with several Sympa installed to change their script.

Which case is, on your opinion, the most likely to happen?

David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités

  • [sympa-dev] Sympa startup script, David Verdin, 09/20/2007