devel - [sympa-dev] Re: Re: Re: Integrating Sergiy's patches to 5.4a.1

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: elijah <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: Re: Re: Integrating Sergiy's patches to 5.4a.1
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:19:27 +0200

Hi Elijah,

elijah a écrit :
Olivier Salaün wrote
I've followed the track yourself and Sergiy explored, ie limiting the calls
to List::get_lists() that browses the expl directory. I've just
commited my changes to the development branch and noticed another significant
improvement of performances in the same conditions I mentionned in
myprevious email, ie 10 consecutive access to the service homepage on a
server with 800 mailing lists. The initial process time was 7.2 seconds ;
I've now reached 1.8 seconds. It seems to be resonnable performances, unless
yourself and Sergiy still have insufficient performances with many K lists.
If you could have a try
with the same profile procedure I used, see
http://www.sympa.org/wiki/faq/performances ; I could thereby check that
performances are now suitable.
I believe we have a miscommunication. The current performance of wwsympa is
O(n) where n is the number of lists. Unfortunately, it will not work
for us to have the time wwsympa takes to complete a request be proportional
to the number of lists, even if the execution time is very small for a
relatively high number of lists.

Some people might find 1.8 seconds acceptable for a page request, but when
you start hosting 20K lists the execution time will grow unacceptably high so
long as the process is still O(n).
Actually 1.8 seconds was the CPU time for 10 requests ; it also includes the time for the initialization of the wwsympa.fcgi process, done only once.
Wwsympa should be able to support 100K lists, if the code is tweaked along
the lines suggested by Epsas and Sergiy.

Riseup.net is a non-profit organization that hosts lists for other non-profit
organizations. We are working with Epsas to allow us to continue using sympa.
We are a small volunteer organization, and we do not have the resources to
maintain a forked version of sympa. For this reason, we hope and pray that
the performance improvements suggested by Epsas and Sergiy will be accepted
as part of the main sympa distribution.
We too prefer that you run a "pure" version of sympa (I mean unpatched) and you're doing our best to integrate submitted patches, as long as they correspond to legitimate needs for the software. We had detailed feedback from Sergiy and Charles (alias Epsas) and we are now convinced that the proposed changes are the best solution to meet the needs of ML services with such big volumes. We'll have a closer look at the patch within the next weeks are we'll integrate the feature in the trunk of the project.

Thanks for your feedback
Thank you to Sergiy and Charles for their investment in the project.