devel - [sympa-dev] Re: Noise in the db / list sync diffs

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: Noise in the db / list sync diffs
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:01:08 -0700 (PDT)

hi

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 address@concealed wrote:

> Very good to hear. I am now looking to optimize taskmanager.pl - I have
> managed to trim the memory usage for wwsympa by adding db caching, and
> will now try to do the same for Task.pm.

The culprit here is that it doesn't technically affect memory use, since
gradually (as more lists are accessed) it will grow to its usual size.
It does improve response time for wwsympa dramatically though, since we're
not trying to re-read all list configs on every call.
Task manager is scanning all list configs, which is why it's that large from
the start.
I think we need to change fundamentally how we read and store list data.
Right now there'a a lot of stuff stored in a list object, which could be
shared like scenarios.
Another way would be limiting the memory use, so we only update list cache
for most frequently used lists.
Any other ideas ?

--
rgds,