devel - [sympa-dev] Is Sympa decoding and re-encoding MIME parts?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Is Sympa decoding and re-encoding MIME parts?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:42:35 -0700

Here's a reposting of a question from my colleague Brent, which has so far gone unanswered on sympa-users, so I thought I'd try it here. Any help? We'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
adam

Hi,

I work with a group of folks who've been hosting hundreds of lists on Sympa for several years now, and when our users ask questions about MIME parts being corrupted or changing in transit through Sympa, we always had the answer "Sympa doesn't change anything about the content of your messages, so don't blame Sympa." Recently, however, we noticed a message where a text/html part using quoted-printable encoding was substantially different when processed through a Sympa-hosted list compared with the version sent direct from the sender. The same thing happened to a base64-endoded image/gif part in the same message. Nothing else was altered about the message or its MIME structure.

In the quoted-printable encoding, Sympa seems to have changed line breaks to make the lines a bit longer. In the base64 encoding, Sympa seems to have altered the original 76-character lines to 60-character lines. In both cases, the Sympa-altered text decodes to the same destination HTML and image as the original text did, so it's not necessarily breaking anything. However, some message recipients have complained that their clients are having problems with the Sympa-processed messages and not the originals, so we're trying to understand what Sympa is doing.

So, my question: is Sympa supposed to be decoding and re-encoding these MIME parts? If not, any hints about how we can determine what's going wrong? If, on the other hand, Sympa is designed to decode and re-encode, why? Can we turn that behavior off so it just re-sends these parts unmolested?

We're using Sympa 5.1.2 with perl 5.8.8 and probably the latest versions of all of Sympa's perl module dependencies.

Brent Emerson

  • [sympa-dev] Is Sympa decoding and re-encoding MIME parts?, Adam Bernstein, 07/10/2007