devel - [sympa-dev] Re: Sympa 5.3b.5 sympa aliases <listname>-subscribe

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Thomas Berry <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: Sympa 5.3b.5 sympa aliases <listname>-subscribe
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 10:31:37 +0200

The -subscribe alias is commented in the default list_aliases.tt2 because we consider it might lead to spammers subscribing to mailing lists. Subscribing the standard way (mail containing a subscribe command) is a complex enough task to prevent spam bots to subscribe to mailing lists. But sending a random message to a list-subscribe mail address make things easier...

Of course you can imagine what might happen if a spam bot is subscribed to a mailing list.

Thomas Berry wrote:
I'm curious, why is the sendmail alias <listname>-subscribe disabled
with a comment (#) when the aliases are added for a list?

I can get none of the subscribe settings to add the necessary subscribe line to the sendmail aliases file.

Am I missing something obvious?