devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Authentication with e-mail address

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Dick Visser <address@concealed>
  • To: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Authentication with e-mail address
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:16:11 +0200

Serge Aumont wrote:

The From: header is used. We should say for "identification" not for "authentification" because it's really not a secure information and the listmaster can decide to use authorization scenario that always require a stronger authentication.

Or the Envelope-From address?

And what if they both exist and are different?

The envelope-From is ignored, unless the Return-path header is tested in scenario (usually not used).

So using sympa does not protect me from being spammed as well.
Would it be difficult to apply SPF checks to the From: header address?
Since sympa is written in perl you could also use SPF::Query I guess.

best regards,

--
Dick Visser
(IT Support Officer)